Saturday, December 19, 2009

Jet Lag and Cheap Champagne

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to my new blog post. Lisa just built this site and I only have a couple pictures from PJ's new camera to use. We are working on getting my camera to download. So stand by for more pictures.

Our day of travel was long (of course) but it was successful. We went from AZ to NJ to Paris. The first flight was pretty long but the guy in the third seat did not mind "the child." We had lunch and watched movies but no naps.

The next flight was long and the guy in the third seat did mind "the child." He was disgusted when he learned we were his row mates. I laughed internally, ha ha, knowing PJ had not napped and we had just had a melt down in NJ, so it was going to be a long flight to Paris. I did finally get her to sleep mid flight for a couple hours but it was far too little sleep for both of us... we arrived and deplaned.

Once off the plane we had to navigate through all the people coming back from Mecca. It was all a big cluster "F." There were signs in many languages that read: Stay Behind The Yellow Line! However about thirty people went past the yellow line and were causing mass confusion. PJ and I are at the back watching and wondering why they don't listen and follow directions? I am lucky enough to be standing with a college student from Houston who is quite fluent in French. We figure out together that there is another checkpoint on the other end of the terminal so we get through with our passports and it was nothing like the US. They did not even look at me, talk to me, sniff my luggage, or ask me if I had any fruit in my pants. Pretty easy.

Then we waited for luggage FOREVER!! The bags for our plane came out one at a time, and I mean one bag...wait ten minutes...one bag...wait, etc. The lady on the intercom said sorry for the delay and please be patient (in French) and so the new person I met was from Paris and she translated for me and added the comment, "What else are we going to do? You have our luggage." Funny. I said to her, "This is worse than Denver International." She said, "Welcome to Paris, and by the way, everyone is on strike so good luck catching the Metro after you get your bags."

Luckily Lisa and her neighbor Jill were coming to pick us up in Jill's giant old Benz. After many, many minutes of waiting for my luggage and having no way to communicate with Lisa I began to head out of customs. On the other side was Lisa and she was worried because our flight had been deleted from the arrival screen. As I am trying to push my way through all the Muslims and the families that are celebrating their arrivals by yelling ahyyiyiyiyiyyyyiiii (you know that sound they make just before they be-head an infidel), PJ said, "Mom I am scared" and I was a little nervous too but I forged ahead into the unknown.

As we passed through the one exit door packed with these celebrators I was being handed figs and other weird food items by the people that were greeting the people returning from Mecca. I of course don't take food from strange people but I got us out and began to search for Lisa. We found an information booth and the very nice English speaking girl offered to call Lisa's cell for me and we were able to find each other. Whew.... ok just writing that stressed me out. Its not possible to explain the madness, you had to be there.

Now we get the car loaded and head to Lisa's apartment. First of all Jill drives like a mad woman but I soon learn you have to in order to get anywhere. The speed limit is 80 and you get in the right lane to turn left. I have only seen two accidents so far but I know I will see more.

Okay so we finally find parking and we get to Lisa's building, climb tiny little stairs, and into her tiny little apartment. Thank God we have made it! Lisa opens a $3.00 bottle of Champagne (the good stuff, you can buy it for $1.00) and we can finally say hi and happy birthday to me. yay.

Now its about noon on the first day and I laid PJ down for a nap and Lisa and I just relax and plan our next adventure. Jill has a little girl who is nearly PJ's age and there was a Christmas party at her daycare so we went... I love the French because they all drink, all the time and even served adult punch at a daycare. Awesome. There was a Santa and a magician and PJ was right on track with the entertainment even though it was of course in French. She laughed the loudest sometimes at the right spot and sometimes not, she was great. We have video of the clown and I hope to post that link on the site soon. It was very cute and a great way to start our trip. So that was day one. And by the way the neighborhood is old and quaint and super charming. I will tell you about the toilets later.

Day two Lisa had to work and we got to sleep. PJ and I slept till noon I was so happy she slept that long. The bed is what we call a tree house its a loft bed about a foot from the celing, so you cannot sit up but you can fall out. PJ loves the idea of it and her and I sleep there and Lisa sleeps on her couch. We did not leave the apartment until Lisa came home from work and then we went to her favorite pub for steak and fries. The fries are awesome and double fried. She was beat and so were we so that was the end of day two. The brothers who own the pub are very cute and I am a fan, you all will learn more as time passes.

Day three Lisa had to work but it was her last day. PJ and I again slept till noon. When she came home we went to the grocery store. That was very interesting but very cool. The French are proud and serious about food. Everything is fresh and good for you. They do not allow genetically altered produce and the largest isle is the yogurt isle and there are no canned soups. We bought some little pizzas and some cheap wine and headed back to the apartment. We celebrated by making old school snow flakes for our Christmas tree.

Okay day four was Friday and we actually woke up at 9am and were fully recovered from jetlag. It was snowing and a high of 27deg, the funny part is it has not been this cold in Paris for years. Lucky us. So we all bundled up and went walking. It's funny because my stroller is huge compared to the locals and so I stand out as an American. In the land of smart cars we are cruising in a Suburban XL. Lisa took us to her favorite bakery and we had coffee and wonderful pastries, PJ had a very American doughnut and hot chocolate made from scratch. So after pumping her full of sugar I strapped her back into her land yacht and we went shopping (poor kid) at Super U (pronounced ooooo) it was all kinds of stuff with no organization, kinda like a garage sale. We got some stuff for Lisa's apartment and I just enjoyed wandering and looking at all the same but different items. We went to a couple other places and window shopped then our last stop was to get the tree. We headed home for some lunch and a well deserved nap for Pj and a bottle of wine for Lisa and I. Later that night we went back to the corner pub for birthday champagne and laughs with the boys.

Today is Saturday and we are doing nothing and it rocks. By the way we have showered since our arrival but that's a whole new story.

Au revoir,
Kels

2 comments:

  1. HI, how are my girls this wonderful Sunday!!
    Miss you loads, kiss Mistress P on her face for me - Huge Hug for Lisa and Bart
    Thius is the day the LORD has made let us be glad and REJOICE in it!!!!!
    Check out Bubbienews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i my gosh you r so brave the airport story mad me sooooo nervice. i think i am going to be ok tho;) Princess Press injoying some freanch intertainment i laugh haha
    love you girls :*

    ReplyDelete