Saturday, December 26, 2009

Long day to the Eiffel Tower


A couple days ago (I cannot remember what day it is today, so I have no idea what day this was, maybe the 23rd) we made the all day trip, 4 miles, across town to see the Eiffel Tower. This is more important to me than the Louvre because I am much more impressed by a giant metal piece of art where I can climb to the top than a 11X13 painting of a man in drag (Mona Lisa). So, being the tourist that I am, this was an exciting day.

Every thing we do here is a production so this day started with us getting ready and out of the house with snacks, water, all of our many layers of clothing, the stroller and bus route. We are getting very good at taking the bus and I enjoy the scenery every time. We took our usual 66 bus that has a stop just outside the front door and it takes us to St. Lazare train station and many of the buses start and stop at this main hub. The 66 does stop here but it also goes past this stop to the Opera and that was where we needed to go to catch our next bus. However we were kicked off the bus at St. Lazare and had to stand and wait on the curb for the next 66. I guess that driver was on break. As we and a couple other ladies grumbled and mumbled onto the cold street corner, Lisa said this is typical. I thought it was quite strange.

We caught our second 66 bus and got back on track after about 15 minutes. At the Opera we changed buses again and this next route was down the Champs Elysees toward the Eiffel Tower. The entire street was lined with little white houses and millions of lights in the trees. These "houses" were all stands selling Christmas items. Fig wine, Foi Gras, hats, jewelry, etc. There were also jumping houses for the kids. We did not visit this area but I took many pictures through the bus window. Very magical.

As we arrived at the property where the Eiffel Tower sits we were immediatly accosted by street vendors trying to sell mini towers of all colors, shapes and forms. No Merci, no Merci, no Merci, they were relentless. We got in line to buy our tickets and Lisa exclaimed she has never seen such a short line. It took about an hour to get through to the ticket booth. All the while I had to hold steady to my pole postion because a group of snobby Italian chicks were trying to cut in line. They said our friend is up there (in Italian). Luckily the man in front of us spoke Italian and told them no. I saw the friend, he was by himself wearing a big Russian furry hat and gold aviator sunglasses. Funny looking. He should have joined the eight bee-otches behind us, not the other way around. Instead they pushed against Lisa and I and blew their cigarette smoke right at us all the while staring us down. HA HA. They did not know who they were dealing with. Lisa and I held our spot strong and we had the couple in front of us to back us up and translate. When turning down each segment of the zig-zag line maker thing, these wonderful people would not go behind us but right beside us staring at me and down at PJ. I don't know what they were thinking, if they irritated me enough I would let them pass, NO, I wanted to punch one of the pretty girls in the nose. But I held back...

Once we went through security and got back in line to take the elevator we ended up following a little family - they looked Israeli, sounded German, spoke English - parents and two little humans. So they too had a stroller and a baby bucket to schlep to the top. The stroller rule was it had to be folded up so I carried PJ's pretty much to the top. We just happened behind them on more than one occasion.

There are two elevators one goes to the 1st & 2nd floors (you can get off on the 1st or stay on the elevator to go to the 2nd) and you walk up to the 2nd level of the 2nd floor to get in line again to go to the top. The first elevator is huge and not terribly scary. The second is a "ride." Lisa closed her eyes and went to her happy place and I took pictures. PJ, being a thrill seeker and a very brave little girl, had her forehead on the glass so she could look straight down and was cheering how much fun we were having. It's a scary ride I loved every minute of the experience.






When you arrive at the top, you can walk around an enclosed place and you can climb one more set of stairs to the very top and you are outdoors. We were in the clouds, so the pictures were better from the 1st floor but PJ and I went up there and it was cold and wet. Mr. Eiffel's tiny apartment is up there. It has been preserved and you can look in the windows. What a place to live. I would love that view every day and through every season. The swaying in the wind might take some time to get used to... There is a window bar where they just have Champagne. We did not partake because we wanted to sit down and have some lunch. The restaurant on the tower was closed and there was only a snack bar so we headed down to the street level to find a place to eat.

Following the little family again we waited in line to catch a ride down. We were only up there maybe an hour because it's very cold and we had a stroller and the kid that goes in it to deal with. We departed the tower and PJ got a hot pink tower key chain. Down the block was a cafe where we could sit, relax and have a leisurely lunch. My child was sleepy and in order to keep her at the table longer I bribed her with a ride on a merry-go-round. It worked. Lisa and I enjoyed our lunch and Chardonay and then we walked across the street to the very old carousel and PJ had her ride.

We then headed to the bus stop and back to Lisa's condo. This experience took the entire day.

We got off at the Opera and walked so we could see the lights and the store front windows. This will be another blog post. I have to log off now and tend to my sick kid. She caught a cold on Christmas day so she is extra needy. I need to also write about our wonderful Christmas eve party and our Christmas morning and Indian Christmas dinner. Wow. I better get busy I have so much more to write.

Stay tuned,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment